will make you trust the currently popular values on your circle without second thought.Low self-confidence
will make you trust somebody else's (or the crowd/mob) opinions more than yours.
These two go hand-in-hand with the famous status quo illness. People know that they need to change, but they are lazy & insecure.Example: Buang sampah sembarangan
Common value: Littering will make the city dirty & unhealthy. I don't like a dirty city, you don't like a dirty city, your children don't like it too etc etc. It's common everywhere - people like a clean place.
- Lazy: (Alone) I can just throw it right now. That stinking garbage can is 5 meters away! TOO FAR for my liking. Besides, the city is already dirty.
- Insecurity: (In a crowd) Uh oh. My boss has just throw the soda can into the street. Hmm.. my colleagues also did that. If I walked to the garbage can I will get labeled as goody two shoes. Everyone will think I'm too high and unapproachable. Why not follow the crowd?The cure:
- Laziness: Gotta have fines & good enforcement system. Learn that to have order, people need to heed the rules.
- Insecurities: Cultural reward system for the good citizens that will uphold their status. Give them something popular in demand so that people will want to follow their footsteps.Applied:
- Lazy: (Alone) Hmm.. garbage can is over there. Stupid Rp 5,000,000.00 (around $500.00) fine with those preman
(casual-dressed) police officers everywhere. Now I have to walk 5 meters to throw this stupid soda can.
- Insecurity: (In a crowd) If I throw this soda can in the garbage can, I'll make sure the boss & colleagues sees me. Perhaps they can nominate me as "Good Employee" to win that scuba-diving lesson.
a0z0ra @ 3:58 PM  |